Monday, July 19, 2010

Black by Nature, Beautiful by Nurture


Why do I get more negative comments from Black women about The Peace & Beauty Project and more positive comments from women of other nationalities? I have had more Black women tell me that The Peace & Beauty Project will be controversial because it focuses on Black girls and not all girls. I celebrate rites of passage for Asian girls that focus on Asian girls, for Asian girls. I love this. I love Quinceaneras!!! This is a rite of passage for girls of Hispanic culture. It is not for ALL girls!!! There is nothing wrong with this, in fact, its all good.

When I launched our first event which was for Black girls, but not exclusive of anyone, I got more negative emails about not including other races on our panel, to why didn't the film include opinions from girls of other races. I wondered if these same sisters had ever attended an event for girls, particularly the Girl Power event here in Orlando and asked how come this event does not include Black women on its panel? I wondered if any of these sisters had ever attended a Quinceaneras and asked how come this ritual does not include African themes, Polynesian food, and Irish music?

The Peace & Beauty Project is for Black girls, period. We have been conditioned to think that there is something militant, anti-everybody else, belligerent, racist, and just plain wrong with celebrating being Black. The Peace & Beauty Project does not tell anyone they cannot attend an event, enjoy what we do, or learn more about us. In fact, we welcome it. The Peace & Beauty Project talks about the inner beauty of Black girls, the health of Black girls, and the sharing of what we learn with others. Everything is right with this!!! Now Black women, whachugottosayaboutthat!!!!!!??????

1 comment:

  1. TELL IT KAREN!
    If not us, then who?
    If not now, then when?
    WHY, WHY, WHY would we sit around waiting for someone else to celebrate US when we can do it ourselves?
    No apologies or excuses necessary. What you're doing is DEAD RIGHT and I'm in your corner, my love. Our babies deserve to be celebrated and focused on and made to feel special, just like everyone else's children. Keep doing what you do, baby. I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete